Thursday, June 9, 2016

4th FREE Workshop & Video - Are Your References Animals?!

Keep Your References From Becoming ANIMALS!

The Job Hunting Tool Kit provides the employer's point of view to help job hunters and the counselors and families that care for them.  
For now we return to Valentine's Diner with a message for you. 

I am George Valentine, owner of "Valentine's Diner", the best Diner on the 'net - here to give job hunters and counselors the point of view the employer - the only point of view that really matters in the job interview, right?  

Like references!  You would think an applicant would treat them well, but by the time I call them many have turned into animals. Here's how to keep this crushing mistake from happening to you.

First Up, the Owl!
Yesterday I got an applicant Willie Makit wanting a job at my diner.  First reference was Sadie Agen who quickly turned from a woman into an owl.  I mentioned Willie's name and she just kept saying "Whooooo?  Whooooo?" not recognizing his name.

It could have turned out better for Willie if he had tried to make Sadie feel like part of his success and keep her up-to-date on the job hunt.    He will get a job someday and Sadie could help him celebrate - but she's forgotten she is a reference and Willie has strike one.

Rough call
Next up is a woman named Betty Kant and she turned into a sheepdog!  I mentioned that Willie was hoping to work in a diner and I wondered if she thought it was a good or bad idea for him to work there.  I asked if working here would be a good fit for his skills and capabilities.  

She said "rough, rough".  After more thought about the fit, she said  "baaaad".

If Willie had talked with her of his experience and connected it with Betty to how his skills matched the work here at the diner, it may have worked but for now it is 'strike two'.

Fishy
Next reference looked encouraging, the Pepto Diner.  Quickly, the person I talked to there only mentioned date of hire and date of dismissal from the job.  Then that person turned into a fish!  All that person said was "glub, glub, glub".  No information at all.

I appreciate that in the 21st century, there will be employers hesitant to say more than this fish talk.  Willie should know that for ever one of these references, I need a real person.  Call that one a foul ball, still strike two.

Now I come to a fellow named Noah Wei, a personal reference.  When I called and asked about Willie's readiness to go to work, would he give a positive review?  Noah turned into a goat!  Every question was met with a "nahhhhh".  Come to find out that Noah was angry with Willie ever since he asked Noah to "use him as a reference".  In short, Noah felt just that way, used.

If only Willie had shown appreciation for his friend helping by taking an unannounced call from a stranger - that is what a reference does after all.  Take that as a lesson and show appreciation and don't strike out.

Making It Work:
Follow these four steps to keeping your references on your side - 

1. Keep your references up to date on your hunt and your efforts to find a job.  Don't say "no I did not find a job again today" but "here is where I am applying, I am still motivated". 

2. Related to that remember to tell people where you are applying and remind them of your experience with them as a helpful, thoughtful and valuable person.  

3. Know the employers who will give just the basic information.  You cannot change them but know that the next employer wants more so you will need another reference.

4.  Do not USE people as references but instead ask them to be part of your success.  Show them you appreciate their time and support even BEFORE you land that job. 

Now I have to go, I am all set to bring my grandson to the zoo to meet some real animals.   In the meantime, take my advice and keep your references connected, focused and appreciated.

No comments:

Post a Comment